AN OVERVIEW OF THE MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION IN NIGERIA.
On August 6th, 2021 the ministry was renamed to “Federal Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovations”. This is a Nigeria ministry whose main aim is to facilitate the deployment, setting and developments of science and technology apparatus to enhance the pace of socio-economic development of the country through appropriate technological inputs into productive activities in the nation.
The Federal Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovations is headed by a Minister appointed by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which will be assisted by the Permanent Secretary, who must be a career civil servant.
On 11th November 2015 the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari, Grand commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria swore in Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu as the Minister of Science and Technology with Dr. (Mrs) Amiona Muhammed Bello Shamaki as the permanent secretary in the ministry.
The director in charge of the ministry is Dr. Abayomi Oguntunde he served in that position for seven years ten months. Earlier, he served as the director in the department Bio-resources Technology and development for 8 years 1 month. He has served also as Deputy director in the department of Health Sciences Research and development as well as Traditional Medicine Research & development.
WHAT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MINISTRY OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION?
The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation is charged with a lot of activities such as:
1) Creation of Technology infrastructure and knowledge base of facilitate its wide application for development.
2) The ministry ensures the impact of R & D results in the Nigerian economy through the promotion of indigenous research capacity to facilitate technology transfer.
3) It facilitates the promotion of wealth creation through support to key industrial and manufacturing sectors.
4) The formulation, monitoring and review of the National Policy on Science, Technology and Innovation to attain the macro-economic and social objectives of Vision 20: 2020 as it relates to science and technology.
5) Application of natural medicine resources and technologies for health sector development.
6) Acquisition and application of Science, Technology and Innovation contribution to increase agricultural and livestock productivity.
7) Acquisition and application of Space Science and Technology as a key driver of economic development.
8) Increasing energy reliance through sustainable Research and Development (R&D) in nuclear, renewable and alternative energy sources for peaceful and development purposes,
IS THE MINISTRY CHARGED WITH ANY RESPONSIBILTIES TO OVERSEE THE AFFAIRS OF ANY PARASTATAL OR AGENCIES?
Yes, it is charged with the responsibilities to oversee the affairs of the following parastatal which are:
1) National Board for Technology Incubation (NBTI).
2) Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN).
3) The Nigerian Institute of Science Laboratory Technology (NISLT) – www.nislt.gov.ng
4) Nigerian Institute For Trypanosomiasis And Onchocerciasis (NITR).
5) National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA).
6) National Centre For Technology Management (NACETEM).
7) National Office For Technology Acquisition And Promotion (NOTAP).
8) Nigerian Natural Medicine Development Agency (NNMDA)
9) National Space Research and Development Agency (NARSDA)
10) Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC), Abuja
11) Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBBRI)
12) National Institute of Leather Science and Technology (NILEST), Samaru Zaria
13) National Research Institute for Chemical Technology (NARICT), Zaria
14) Sheda Science and Technology Complex (SHESTCO), Abuja
15) Project Development Institute (PRODA), Enugu
16) Federal Institute of Food & Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO)
17) National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI), Abuja
In every organization they are a lot of departments under it. Federal Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovations is a body with a different department under it which are:
1) Special duties.
2) Environmental and Science technology.
3) Technology Acquisition and Adaptation.
4) Reform Coordination and Service Improvement.
5) Health and Bio-Medical Sciences.
6) Information and Communication Technology.
7) Finance and Accounts.
9) Human resource management.
10) General Services.
11) Chemical technology.
12) Planning Research and Policy Analysis.
13) Renewable and Conventional Energy Technology.
14) Finance and accounts.
15) Reform Coordination and Service Improvement.
16) Environmental and Science Technology.
17) Chemical Technology.
18) Science and Technology Promotion.
19) Bio-resources Technology Bio-resources Technology.